Video surveillance systems have continued to get better and better over the last few years. From tiny wireless cameras that can be hidden in nearly any location to more traditional looking surveillance cameras that can act as a visual deterrent to would be criminals, there is a camera system out there for every organization’s needs. Many of the newer video surveillance systems can be accessed and monitored from a smartphone, so you can keep an eye on your business no matter where you are. Live video surveillance has gone from a daunting and expensive operation to being something every business can and should do.
Video surveillance provides two clear benefits to your business. It can act as a deterrent to potential criminals and it keeps a record of what has occurred in case a crime does take place. A video recording of a crime taking place is vital if you want law enforcement officials to catch and prosecute the criminal. A video recording may even be able to help you recover your lost assets.
Urban Institute, a non-partisan research group based in Washington, D.C., did a study confirming the efficacy of video surveillance as a crime prevention strategy. The report reviewed practices in Washington D.C., Baltimore, and Chicago and concluded that “the cameras — when actively monitored — were effective at cutting down crime. And the savings and benefits of fewer crimes outweighed the cost of the surveillance system.”
Selecting the right camera for your business needs can be overwhelming with all of the choices out there. Answering a few simple questions below will help you decide on the right one.
- What do you want the camera to capture? Is it a wide view of a large area? Do you just need to see the scene to know if something is happening? Do you need to see an event and be able to tell exactly what is occurring? Do you need to see the individual involved? The answers to these questions will determine how robust your surveillance system needs to be.
- Will the system be used to monitor an inside or outside space?
- Is the goal of your system to act as a deterrent or would you prefer a unit that is hidden from view?
- Do you like how the camera looks? Sleek design matters to some people, particularly when they are investing in business equipment. Some look like boxes, domes, or bullets.
- What functionality do you need? Do you need audio, the ability to pan, tilt or zoom?
Ring and Ping Communications can help you answer all of these questions and choose the best system for your needs. Don’t wait for a theft or break in to occur before you invest in a video surveillance system. Protect your business and your employees by installing a security system now.